ESHC Approved for COVID-19 Assessment Center
April 15, 2020
Erie Shores HealthCare, in discussion with the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU), has been approved by Ontario Health, West Region to open a COVID-19 Assessment Centre within the hospital, starting Thursday April 16th, 2020. The hours of operation will be between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., seven days a week, with the potential to expand hours based on demand.
Essex County residents who meet the criteria for COVID-19 testing will have a dedicated assessment center in Essex County. A clinical assessment must be done before testing occurs. The following groups are prioritized for testing based on a Directive from the Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams:
• Symptomatic health care workers and staff who work in health care facilities;
• Symptomatic residents and staff in long term care facilities and retirement homes;
• Asymptomatic new admissions or re-admissions to long-term care or retirement home
• Hospitalized patients admitted with respiratory symptoms (new or exacerbated);
• Symptomatic members of remote, isolated, rural and/ or indigenous communities;
• Symptomatic travellers identified at a point of entry to Canada;
• Symptomatic community/ ambulatory people with medical co-morbidities;
• Symptomatic community/ ambulatory people working in an essential industry with the inability to isolate, such as migrants workers;
• Symptomatic healthcare workers, caregivers (i.e. volunteers, family members of residents in an institutional setting), care providers (e.g., employees, privately-hired support workers) and first responders.
ESHC COVID-19 Assessment Centre will be on a walk-in basis with no referral or pre-screen by primary care, Public Health, or Telehealth required.
“The ESHC COVID-19 Assessment Center is welcomed news to the communities in which we serve,” says Janice Dawson, CEO, Erie Shores HealthCare.
“Last week Premier Ford announced the need for increased COVID 19 testing across the province with emphasis being given to all sector health care providers, patients and residents in long term care and retirement homes and other vulnerable groups. The announcement today allows ESHC to respond and provide assessment and testing to individuals in Essex County that are experiencing symptoms which could be caused by the COVID 19 virus.”
“The COVID 19 Assessment Center will keep symptomatic patients out of the Emergency Department so the hospital can remain focused on the highest acute care needs of this community,” says Doctor Ross Moncur, Chief of Staff.
When you arrive to ESHC, please present to our screening trailer and then you be directed to the Assessment Center. You will be assessed to determine if you require a swab. Further direction will be provided to patients (self-isolation or self-quarantine.) Definitions to be added. The WECHU will follow up with patients when their results are received. ESHC’s last assessments will be at 330pm daily.
For more information on ESHC visit www.erieshoreshealthcare.ca, or check us out on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.